Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Ice Scoopz: Wednesday Afternoon

Tough heartbraker last night for team Canada. In the end goaltending and speed were major factors for the USs big win ending the Canadians 5 year reign. Although most Canadians will disagree with me I think it was good for Canada to lose the gold. Good for the hockey world anyways. When a team is dominant for a long period of time in international hockey it hurts the competition. Most of the lower level teams get shelled embarssingly and give up hope of ever winning and eventually they'll change the tournament format to save the teams from embarssment. It allows encourages pther nations to keep putting money, time and effort into their hockey programs and the players pride for their countries.

Anyways, I thought the goaltending was the difference maker. Campbell was awesome from when he stepped in till the final 5 minutes of the 3rd. He remained composed and focused even after his brief colapse unlike his Canadian counterpart Allen. 3 timely week goals, if they had been saved the game would have been entirely different. Anyone else think Hall tried to do too much? I thought he was going to the heroic goal everytime he touched the pick instead of making the smart simple play. Um starting love Eberle last year I wasn't totally sold but now I'm on the band wagon. He's not the most skilled player in the world but he might have the most heart and best timing.overall it was an awesome game to watch last night and here's hoping next years tournament is just as good. Who am I kidding the World Juniors is always the best time of year..apart from deadline day that is. Ill wrap up the World Juniors this week with a final thoughts post.
*-> Speaking of Jake Allen he's been traded. Allen has been trade from the Montreal Juniors to Drummondville Voltigeurs of the QMJHL for a 1st round pick in 2010 and 2011.

4 comments:

Jalen said...

Scoopz,

I agree with you about Canada's loss, at least in part. I'm glad guys like Stamkos, Duchene, Kane, Myers, etc. weren't on the team. We wouldn't have seen such a great game if they'd been there.

Still, a heroic effort from the Canadians who never showed any quit. At the same time, congrats to the Americans who I felt were the best team throughout the tourney. I was particularly impressed with Tyler Johnson, Cam Fowler and Chris Krieder.

I'd have to add "coaching" to your list of differences between Gold and Silver - no disrespect to Desjardins who's accomplised a lot in his career, but I didn't feel at ease with a lot of the decisions the coaching staff made throughout the tourney, from handling the D (including Cowen), to the line Combo's, to failing to pull Allen (who clearly was having an off night) until after the 5th goal. Canada was outcoached in this tournament.

As for Hall, I don't think he was trying to do too much, I just think his line had a hard time establishing any real chemistry in a short time. He's the best prospect I've seen come out of the "O" at least since Nash, maybe since Lindros. Speed, power and off the charts skill.

Unlike the M&M douches at TSN, I'm not jumping on the Hall bandwagon, either. You know I made the statement above before last year's tournament. I also said I'd have taken him first overall last year, had he been available.

While I'm ranting about McGuire & Mackenzie, did you hear that fraud McGuire on the Team this week when he stated he told everyone he felt Doughty should've been taken first overall ahead of Stamkos? What a lying bastard. I used to respect this guy a lot, but now I can hardly stand his over-inflated ego and quest for the next sound byte. The guy thinks he's an entertainer.

Finally, disappointing for Sens fans not to see more of Cowen. I concede that he did seem a step slow at times, a concern I've had since he blew out his knee, but I don't think they played him to his strengths. At least Petersson and Silfverberg looked good throughout the tourney.

- Jalen

CharlesC said...

I agree with you about McGuire Jalen. I remember all the verbal fellatio he was giving to Stamkos leading up to it.

I just can't stand the guy. I actually wake up earlier in the morning now to miss his segment on TGOR.

But I guess that's what TSN wants... love him or hate him, he does attract attention.

In terms of the juniors, you can add Tavares, Doughty (I think), and a few others to the list. What a sick team that would have been. Bodes well for the future of Hockey Canada for sure. Now let's hope for the NHL in Sochi!

Keep up the good work scoopz.

Anonymous said...

The mood in the bar last night was electric in those last five minutes, what an anti-climactic finish to a classic (although the game will be downplayed by the media due to the result).

Jalen said it when he said coaching was the difference in that game. Desjardins didn't look strong behind the bench. I'll vouch that you're a Hall lover too, but I agree he's got the complete package. JT may be wicked inside the blueline, but Hall seems to control the whole ice, maybe at the expense of his finish. Did he hot dog? Ya a bit, but he's trying to get drafted out there. He can do alot more for his team than JT... How many OHL titles did JT win? Exactly. As a sens fan, I'm really worried about cowen. I want him to be a pronger, not a phillips. Hopefully the sens know what they're doing. On the bright side, let's give our Swedish scout a raise, petersson and silferberg were great!
CA

Unknown said...

Scoopz,

I heard someone around the office say that American team's scouts most likely past on in their reports to shoot the puck on the Canadian goalie on his glove side. Given that some of the goals were scored there perhaps they saw something or perhaps he had an injury we don't know about. Regardless, it was a good game despite the outcome. I concur with your comment that it was probably a good thing for international hockey that Canada lost this year.