Saturday, May 15, 2010

Ice Scoopz: Saturday Night

I've just finished reading the Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie's book "Hockey Dad" and it was actually pretty decent. It was a very enjoyable read but wasn't quite what I had expected. I knew going in it was going to be about his sons Shawn and Mike McKenzie (Mike just recently signed a try out deal with the Albany River Rats)but I really didn't expect the book to dig so deep into the McKenzie familys lives. It helped put a lot of the stories into perspective but I was left feeling like there could have been more hockey related stories. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the book a lot but I was under the impression that it would feature a lot more "crazy hockey dad" stories than a handful. I did appreciate Bob McKenzie allowing us to look into his life and allowing a laugh or two at his expense while at the same time not promoting himself or TSN. He kept the book quite modest and many of the names dropped in the book were just to show the readers the calibre of hockey being played. If you ever have been involved with minor hockey or want a look in its the perfect book but if your going into it expecting to be blowing away by wild stories or an insiders secrets on minor hockey its not for you. I'd give it 4 stars as I enjoyed it because in the very short time I've been involved on the bench with minor hockey, I can see these stories Bob tells unfolding. They really could happen to any coach, parent or child.

On to the news!

*-> The New Jersey Devils have signed their 2008 NHL Entry Draft pick Mattias Tedenby and their 2009 Entry Draft pick Jacob Josefson to 3 year entry level deals. Josefson payed last season for Djugardins of the Swedish Elite League while fellow countryman Mattias Tedenby played HV71 also of the SEL. Great draft picks, I got to watch Tedenby dominant the World Juniors in Ottawa, he looks to be an incredible player.

*-> Yann Danis also of the New Jersey Devils has told the media he'd love to re-sign with the Devils organization but said he has doubts as he has not heard from the club since the end of their playoff run. No offense to Danis but his position is pretty easy to fill. Even then the Devils may want to upgrade as Martin Brodeur is begging to show his age.

*-> The Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillies has told the media after the Canucks exit from the playoffs at the hands of the Chicago Blackhawks he'd like to add some veterans with playoff experience to his club. Some are reporting he has interest in signing Bill Guerin in the offseason as the Pittsburgh Penguins are highly unlikely to keep him in the fold. Another name being thrown about is Rod Brind'Amour who currently is in limbo in Carolina and awaits a meeting with Jim Rutherford to see what fait beholds him.

Thats it for now, I've been working on my draft preview for the 1st round so hopefully in a week or so that shall get posted. If anyone knows a site I can stream the Canada games live it would be much apprciated as apparently Virgin tv and Internet blocks out almost anything North American online. I'll also appogize for the many more typos and mistakes as this laptop I'm using seams to have a broken keypad and no word software.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Check out this site Scoopz:

http://www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=icehockey