Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ice Scoopz: Conference Final Predictions

Before CA sends his request for my Conference Final predictions, I'll get them posted. So far in the first round I was 4 for 8 but in the second round I was 4 for 4. Hopefully I can continue the trend for the finals.

In the matchup for the Eastern Conference between the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers I think the Canadiens will continue their momentum and take the Flyers in 6. I think the Habs have that goaltending strength and belief in the system by each member of the team. The Habs all have bought into Jacques Martin coaching and they've been playing a strong team game while the Flyers are ether hot or cold. The Flyers also have only come off a win against a lowly Boston squad while Montreal beat what was expected to be the top 2 contenders in the East. Also the Flyers have had the same offensive woes the Habs have had but have a 3rd tier goaltender most of the playoffs.

In the Western Conference its going to be a lot tougher series as both teams in my opinion are fairly close. While I like both teams I'm going to say the San Jose Sharks in 7. I like the Sharks because they have that urgency and veteran poise it takes to win. Not many teams can dominate the Detroit Red Wings like that. The Sharks also have the edge in net with Evgeni Nabokov. The Sharks also have the veteran experience throughout their lineup while the Blackhawks are still a young growing team. The inexperience might come back to haunt the Hawks. This being said all this depends on Jumbo Joe Thornton and whether him and Dany Heatley can connect and or even show up. The Sharks are due despite the Hawks being ready for a historic run for the city of Chitown in the next few years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was only 2 for 4 so what it looks like you're ahead Scoopz. Chicago is too fast and too young to lose to San Jose. Plus, Heatley is an awful playoff performer, and will inevitably let them down. Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook are better than Dan Boyle and Rob Blake, plus Nabokov looks shakey. Chicago in 6.

Montreal and Philly will be a great series. I want Montreal to go on, but I'm worried Halak will collapse under all the pressue. The betting man in me says Philly in 6, but the gut feeling says Montreal in 7.

Btw, a certain mens league game got a bit chippy last night. Other team (Hockey School Dropouts) asked where 27 was... no joke. Solid 3-0 win though.
CA

Jalen said...

Playoff predicting is a fool's game, but I'm not often accused of brilliance, so here goes:

West:

I like the 'Hawks forward depth more than I like the Sharks and their D is outstanding with both Keith and Seabrook legitimate Norris candidates. Hard to believe they could be even better if Johnsson were healthy. If the goaltending is just close, the 'Hawks in 6.

East:

Trying to set my contempt for the Habs aside, I can't help but view their first two series wins with some skepticism. I never liked the 'Caps playoff chances (hard to win tight games with their style of play and they can't defend) and the 'Pens just played terrible, looking like a tired team. Unless Philly loses another goaltender, they'll win in 6 even without Carter. The 'Habs need Halak to be St. Halak again to have a chance.

CA's right on, the Club was solid last night and will only get a boost when you return.

- Jalen